7.19.2006

Mitt Romney -- Mormon President?

Kathryn Jean Lopez has an interesting piece in today's National Review Online concerning the potential candidacy for POTUS of Mitt Romney, Gov. of Massachusetts. Romney also happens to be a Mormon.

Lopez argues, and personally hopes it seems from some of her posts on The Corner over the past couple of months, that Romney will enjoy the support of conservative evangelicals since we of course would vote for no liberal and would never NOT vote if it would result in President Hillary Clinton.

I have been a Southern Baptist since I was three and a believer since I was 7. Let me first say that the thought of another Clinton presidency sends chills down my spine -- this one even moreso than Bill. However, I feel that Lopez misunderstands and underestimates the average Southern Baptist's exposure to Mormonism. A film called The Godmakers used to be standard viewing in youth groups all across the denomination. That Mormonism is a cult is almost an article of faith.

How deep and strong this belief will work against Romney is unknown and perhaps unknowable since many will lie to a pollster because to say otherwise out loud would be intimidating to folks who don't want to sound rude or intolerant. Mormon beliefs are not just different, but border on tinfoil hat wearing. That their scripture is edited more often than the average blog is disturbing. The hold the belief, in the utter and absolute absence of ANY archaelogical evidence that Christ came to Mesoamerica while in the tomb to preach to the natives. Mormons will be gods of their own planets some day. These are disturbing enough, but most troubling is the influence their Prophet might have. He is no Pope -- the Vicar of Christ. He is a direct channel of revelation -- able to change the doctrine -- and it must be followed. It goes beyond sectarian fears of a "papist" John F. Kennedy.

Mormons are generally nice, kind, love their families, and I have long term friends who are Mormons. I would vote for them for mayor or even Governor, but President of the U.S. gives me pause. I'm not saying I wouldn't vote for Romney -- only that I would struggle and pray through the decision. Also of course, it would depend on other factors such as available alternatives and his actual stances on the issues.

I know I'm not alone in this and it makes me nervous to say it because most folks don't know how to argue, just hurl insults and bromides about intolerance, phobias, etc. The hierachical nature of the religion makes me nervous. Protestants, like Bush, have no adherence to a single man, and don't as a general rule believe in continuing and direct revelation from God. The canon is closed, we are far from perfect, and there is no one human to whom we owe any ultimate fealty. Perhaps this fear of the Mormon faith is overblown, perhaps not. But I have absolutely no qualms in expressing doubts in light of the gravity of the consequences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home